Grilled Portobello Burger with Citrus SlawBy Produce Department • May 31st, 2014 • Category: Burgers and Sandwiches, Main Dish, Mushrooms, Vegan Mashup Print
by Toni Fiore, Vegan Mashup co-host and host and author of the Totally Vegetarian cookbook
Portobello mushrooms size and steak-like texture make them a fantastic meatless option for grilling. A cast iron grill pan gives you the option of grilling year round.
Preheat your grill (or grill pan) to 425-450 degrees.
For the Dressing
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons grated ginger
2 teaspoons agave syrup
1. Place all ingredients in a covered jar and shake well until the dressing is emulsified.
For the Salad
2 cups green cabbage, sliced very thinly
1 cup shredded carrot
1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons dried unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 jalapeño pepper, diced (optional)
1. Place all ingredients into a medium sized bowl. Dress lightly and toss the salad well to coat the vegetables with the dressing.
For the Mushrooms
2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
2 tablespoons vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
4 good-sized Portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed, rinsed, and dried well
Vegetable or olive oil for brushing
1. Blend the soy and Worcestershire sauces in a shallow bowl.
2. Brush the mushroom caps with a little oil and place oiled side down on your hot grill. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until mushrooms begin to flatten and brown.
3. Using tongs, pick up, dip/press the hot mushroom caps into the sauce mixture, then return to the grill and continue grilling for another 3 to 4 minutes.
Delicious served on a toasted whole grain bun, spread vegan mayonnaise, top with tomato slice, grilled mushroom, and a layer of slaw. Enjoy!